Friday, May 19, 2006

Tripping over the Back of My Brain

I had a project idea today. Daughter Susan said I have too many others ahead of it and I should put it somewhere in the back of my brain where I would trip over it occasionally. That didn't seem like a reliable place.

I had just read this quote in an e-newsletter discussion about repetition, "In retrospect, the point you wanted to stop seems to be the point were you were really just beginning." (John Fitzsimmons) My friend Ellie had just emailed that she has completed her 100 Tiles project and she mentioned the value of imposing constraints -- hers was minimalist landscapes on 4" x 4" canvases. (You can see her little paintings at http://expatpainter.blogspot.com/)
As I looked at them, I started thinking about my 4" x 4" sketchbook and the daily sketches in France: repetition and constraints.


I decided that I should continue the daily 4" x 4" sketches, but the notations should be things I might put "somewhere in the back of my brain" -- painting ideas, projects to try, information sources. It might interesting to see what I trip over later.

In my April archive, scroll down to find Day 11, 12, 13 from the France Sketchbook. More about the ant artist on Day 12.

No comments: