Sunday, October 29, 2006

Life Celebrations

I would not have taken the time to drive through the countryside yesterday. I might have poked around the studio wondering when I would find the courage to pick up a brush again. I might have sorted some papers and wondered which artist's birthday might be on the calendar for next week. I might have raked the leaves in the yard.

Instead, daughter and I drove through the autumn afternoon of breathtaking country roads under blue skies past farms and tiny streams and landscapes of color. We took tiny roads with few markings to reach an old church by an older cemetery to attend the unexpected funeral of a favorite cousin. There were hymns played on an old piano, arrangements of flowers, and prayers and words to comfort. But we missed her bubbling, wicked laughter which always punctuated family gatherings.

From there, we drove a couple of hours through more scenes which rivaled our "take that back road" tours in France. We joined a birthday dinner for the high school classmate who had been my matron of honor and best friend. It was not an anniversary but the presence of the classmate who had been by her side for more than 40 years made her celebration complete. After much great food and good laughter, we drove another 3 hours through the cool fall night with stars and moon and clouds to keep us company.

It was a complete day.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Annette, such a lovely post. Your description of driving through the Southern countryside makes me smile at how we never tire of it, even living right there. I miss it still.

I just got my Blogarithm notice for this post, but I see it's from October. In that case, more please!

Anonymous said...

Martha
It's one of those posts which got lost in the shuffle of a new computer. You'll find a few more odd ones as the days go on. I know. I know. Posting old blog entries is weird.
Annette