Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Personal Prescription Plan

I have finally given in to the 'prescriptions' of my doctor. "Take this pill and walk for 30 minutes every day." I dislike taking medications -- my vitamin is a Flintstone Chewable, fer cryin' out loud. I manage the pill with my morning coffee, but I like to walk TO something and . . . it is hard to figure out a regular time to walk . . . I'm not a morning person . . . and . . . how many more excuses would you like? So the plan is to make it interesting, if not fun.

On Monday, Lucy and I walked the mile to the library, paid a fine and got new books. Yesterday, my walk involved the double stroller and two little ones who were excited to feed the ducks at the river -- it was a much longer walk. Today, we just strolled about a 1/2 mile while watching for the threatening rain. Along the way, there are occasional stops to pick up a stray doll or juice bottle, watch a bird or to take a photo like the ones from yesterday in overcast light with my iPhone.

I left this guy's picture out of yesterday's blog, but I think I like his attitude. No one said I had to be a serious walker, but perhaps the effort will eventually result in smaller size Jeans, lower blood-pressure and lifted depression. It's a plan with attitude.

AAB

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Oooh! I like your gull. He looks like he's preparing for take-off.

The walking bit is easier with a dog, because you've got a built-in excuse. I'm like you, though, so without a dog, I'd have to have some sort of purpose for walking. If it's a 30 minute walk you're after, how about making a game of it? Walk away from your home for 15 minutes, stop and look for something to photograph, then turn around and go home.

Benefits-wise, even a 30 minute walk every other day will have a measurable impact on your health.

Annette Bush said...

Thanks, Shelly
We're working on trying to get in at least 30 minutes before stopping to feed the ducks or finding a book. Pushing a stroller along adds to the huff and puff, and I don't know that it helps health-wise, but definitely makes it more fun!

Lots of photos yesterday.
A

Walker said...

great photo Annette!

Annette Bush said...

Thanks, Robin
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. He just has such a LOOK!
A