Monday, January 30, 2006

How does a mentor find a mentor?

I have been exchanging emails over the last few weeks with an old student and friend. We've mostly been catching up, but she mentioned some things from "The Bush League Painters" days. I remember when I recognized her interest in birds and animals and suggested them as subject instead of secondary focus in her work. I told her to get someone else to create a brochure, a logo, a BRAND, even though she is a graphic designer. I pushed her to participate in a women's cooperative gallery even though she had a full-time job. She called me a mentor.

Judy Brand has moved a couple of times over the last ten years. She has recently created some energy in her new hometown with ideas from our old days together. It is nice to see. Judy's work can be seen here. www.yessy.com/jdybrand


(The BLP were my students who were really artists who wanted a little instruction and some conversation, group shows and art trips.)

No comments: