Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Cookie and the Kind Words

Sometimes a voice from the past triggers so-o-o many memories. This one did. Cookie tried to think of all the things from ten years ago which would remind me of who she was. No need . . . some people, you don't forget!

Cookie was always excited about EVERYTHING! At the time she was beginning watercolor classes with me in my big old studio in a downtown storefront, she was also taking tap dance lessons and a creative writing course. She and her husband were renovating a remakable 1918 home in my neighborhood and frequently driving to Louisanna from Georgia to check on family. And all the time, she was bubbly and enthusiastic. How could I forget Cookie Phillips?!!

She called to tell me that she is being featured in a show and wants to send me an invitation. She also wanted to tell me how many times she hears my voice from those first classes even when she studying with someone else. She wanted to thank me for a good beginning. For a teacher, it doesn't get much better.

The Spring Watercolor Show is called Nancy Melton and Friends and highlights the paintings of Cookie Dittmann Phillips. If you are in Lake Charles, LA, you can find it at the Frazar Memorial Library between April 7th and May 25th.


No comments: