Friday, March 07, 2008

Suzanne and Masters of the American West

It's another Fault of the Internet!


I frequently review museums and special exhibit on line, but rarely get a close-up view.


California artist, Suzanne Ferguson has provided just what I needed to let me know more about a show which she recently attended. Suzanne paints both in the studio and at various locations in the Western states and her website is full of gentle images like this one.

I ask her to share her observations here as a guest blogger as both a thank you for excellent words and as a reminder that I need to see art in person whenever possible.

I had read Friday or Saturday that the Masters of the American West show was on and would be over March 2, and I wasn't about to miss it like I did last year.

Anyway, my favorite (the painting that really knocked my socks off) this time was one by Bill Anton called "The Winds of Change." I fell in love with it, could have looked at it for hours. I longed to take it home with me. However, had I seen it only on the web, and was offered it for free, I might not have even cared. More than most paintings, the photo doesn't give it justice. It washes out the colors. For example, it shows a bit of blue on the horse's haunch, which was made up of many subtle colors including a lot of light, beautiful purples. You could almost smell the wind.

Another one that made a big impression on me was "On the Canyon Rim" by Jason Rich. Had that turn of the century cowboy art look, but with exceptional color.

Other years I'd gone to the show. Pino Dangelico had astonished me, and I'd wanted to spend hours staring. Though his excellence is still obvious, he seemed more commercial, less dramatic, and the work seemed to show less story telling that usual. Instead of the usually beautiful skin tones, the skin seemed overly white, almost chalky.

I was sorry not to see any Dad Meiduich this year.

I (and the rest of the world) had always appreciated Howard Terpning, but he never effected me before like this time. His Hard Trails Wore Out More Than Ponies" seemed to me the very best and the most dramatic painting there. It glowed and excelled on every level from contrast to personality. It also had the best spot in the show. It's enormous, and is hung right in front of you when you walk in, and really deserved it. And there were sooooo many more good ones. . . .

This is the show's site: http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/masters2008/artists.php
Suzanne
http://www.art-by-suzanne.com

---


Suzanne and Masters of the American West. A nice combination and another delicious Fault of the Internet!


@AAB

No comments: